[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Are banner ads acceptable on licesnsed databases?
- To: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: Are banner ads acceptable on licesnsed databases?
- From: "Dana Bostrom" <email@example.com>
- Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 07:42:53 EDT
- Reply-To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sender: email@example.com
You were not specific in what type of ads are included. Third party banner ads -- advertisers like Nike or Tower Records, for example, may be different from a journal or the University itself placing ads on the database. If companies who sell databases want to include ads from outside third parites that the licensee's users will see, the company should pay the licensee for access to their users and give the licensee the content -- that channel of people who will see the ads. As most licensee's users are well defined, and have specific needs which are well known (i.e. students who need certain services), advertisers could have access to a great market. In addition, concerns about authenticating users, making sure there's only a certain type/number of people seeing it, etc. should fall away. The advertisers would be lucky for a variety of people to see it. Otherwise, the licensee should have a fair amount of control over the environment that their users see, and should be able to block ads. My 2 cents -- Dana Bostrom ************************************* Software Technology Manager Office of Technology Transfer University of Washington PH: 206.616.3451 FAX:206.616.3322 firstname.lastname@example.org > Colleagues, > > I need your opinion. An online database vendor has asked me if librarians > would accept or object to their placing banner ads, visible to library > patrons, on licensed databases hosted by their company? > > What would be your reaction? Not care; accepting; would cancel the > subscription or? I take it that they feel they could charge lower fees if > they had the additional revenue from the ads. > > What's your feeling?
- Prev by Date: Re: Are banner ads acceptable on licesnsed databases?
- Next by Date: RE: Are banner ads acceptable on licensed databases?
- Prev by thread: Re: Are banner ads acceptable on licesnsed databases?
- Next by thread: Re: Are banner ads acceptable on licesnsed databases?