Re: pricing questions

A brief addendum and correction to my previous reply to Davidson's
comments on BRAIN RESEARCH subscription prices versus those of the JOURNAL
OF BIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY.  I did not scroll down far enough in reading
Davidson's text to see his quotation of the circulation figures for JBC as
6,000. I had cautiously guessed that the figure had to be at least 2,000
to 3,000 to be on the safe side. His figure, which I accept, simply
reinforces my argument about the price discrepancy between the two
journals.

Incidentally, it is useful to know that U.S postal regulations require
every magazine/journal mailed via low second class postal rates to publish
a sworn statement of its paid circulation, averaged over a 12 month
period, at least once a year in the publication itself.  Failure to do so
means the publication risks losing its second class postage permit, and
the great savings that the second class rate provides in the US. This
statement is often printed on the last page of an issue where it is most
likely to be missed by readers. The U.S. Postal Service periodically sends
an inspector to the publisher's office to review circulation figures, and
discrepancies can lead to the loss of the precious permit. If one wants to
know the accurate circulation figures of a journal, therefore, one does
not need Ulrich's, aside from the convenience of having information in one
handy package.  In fact, that publication's circulation figures are likely
to be somewhat out of date in comparison with those in the printed
statements in the publications themselves.

One last point about BRAIN RESEARCH usage and readership. As a trained
neuroscientist myself, with many neuroscientist friends, I can report that
a surprising number of them say that while they seek the publication of
their important research papers in that distinguished journal, they do not
often take out issues to browse and read. They seem to treat it as the
preferred archive for their work, and send out reprints (or photocopies or
emailed copies) of their articles to their colleagues in their specialized
area of investigation. They may obtain selected articles to read by
following citations in the Life Sciences section of CURRENT CONTENTS, by
looking up the table of contents pages of issues on the Internet, by
noting cited articles in the bibliographies of other publications, or they
may just receive copies from the authors of the articles.  All of which
adds up to yet another good argument for turning this archival journal
into a computerized database.

Alan M. Edelson, Ph.D.
(retired) President and CEO,
J.B. Lippincott Co.