Re: pricing questions

I believe that the explanation for a major part of the difference in the
annual subscription price of Elsevier's journal BRAIN RESEARCH and the
society-owned JOURNAL OF BIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY is the difference in the
number of paid subscribers. I am not currently privy to these figures, but
believe that BRAIN RESEARCH has a paid circulation of not much more than
1,000. I suspect that those of JBC are 2-3 times as much. As you must
appreciate, total unit costs fall precipitously, almost exponentially,
when you can spread them over larger numbers of subscribers.  I know that
many will want to believe that the major reason for the difference stems
from the fact that one publisher is a society while the other is a
commercial corporation which is concerned with the price of its stock
(incidentally, Elsevier's stock has taken severe hits this year and is
trading at historic lows), but I do not think that is the major cause of
the discrepancy.

One might argue that given the enormous number of pages published annually
in BRAIN RESEARCH and its small and almost wholly institutional subscriber
list (which I believe has been declining over recent years as costs rise),
a very good argument could be made for saving some money (not as much as
one might think) by abandoning the print edition and making it entirely an
electronic journal. However, it is a fact that there are still many
authors who would be nervous about archiving their major research papers
on a computer. This will change, especially if authors, publishers, and
librarians could work together to insure the long term permanance and
security of digital archives. But that is another and very complex story.

Alan M. Edelson, Ph.D.
(retired) President and CEO,
J.B. Lippincott Company