Threaded Index

Re: Passwords for Remote Access

>Posting on behalf of Janice M Jaguszewski

For our library, library.wustl.edu (either telnet or www), access is
limited by IP number within the library machine.  Hence I can access OCLC
without problem.  I forget what package they are using but it serves as a
'front end' on the web and hence detects the IP number and allows access
based on that so that individual users do not need a username or password.

HOWEVER, a username and password can be given to gain access to all the
services even if the user is accessing by some IP number not in our
domain.

>To access Publisher XXX e-journals remotely, you will need to logon with
>the following information [NB:  we are making these passwords up for the
>purposes of this Liblicense-l message]:
>
>                         User ID: learneduser
>                         Password: studytime

I would guess not.  YOU have to limit the access, not the user.

Bob

| Bob Parks                                          Voice: (314) 935-5665 |
| Department of Economics, Campus Box 1208             Fax: (314) 935-4156 |
| Washington University                                                    |
| One Brookings Drive                                                      |
| St. Louis, Missouri 63130-4899                   bparks@wuecona.wustl.edu|

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer