Threaded Index

Passwords for Remote Access

Posting on behalf of Janice M Jaguszewski
Forwarded message:
From: "Janice M. Jaguszewski" <j-jagu@maroon.tc.umn.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 97 11:57:51 -0500

I am writing to draw upon this list's expertise in licensing and access to
electronic journals, specifically with respect to e-journals whose
providers require each user to have and use the publisher's assigned
id/password in order to access the e-journals.  While my example will
describe one case, I know this is a continuing issue for librarians with
other publishers and other kinds of online resources.  An airing here,
along with an exchange of view on this matter, could be helpful to all
parties.

Background

Our participated in a two-week free trial of access to the online web
version of a particular journal publisher.  Although the trial has ended,
we continue to have access to the electronic versions of our print
subscriptions.  To establish this access (for the trial and continuing
access), I completed a web-based form that asked for basic information,
e.g., contact name and address, subscription agency, and IP addresses.  No
licensing agreement of any kind was provided or signed, although we
understand one will be forthcoming as the project moves forward.

After submitting the form electronically, I received an e-mail message
notifying me that access had been established and providing me with a user
id and password.  The letter stated "Please make the user-id and password
available only to those affiliated with your institution."  I immediately
called one of the publisher's key representatives for this project, to
voice my concerns, focusing on the problem of id and password requirements
and to state that we could not comply with their request to restrict
access to University affiliates only.  He told me I was the fifth person
to call and complain and that he thought the organization would be
responsive to these statements. He also said that a licensing agreement
would be ready by fall 1997.  I followed up by sending him an e-mail
message reiterating my concerns.  In the meantime, we restricted the test
to library staff only.

I received a response to my e-mail message from another staff member
within the company. She noted that they do  "recognize that authorized
users may include library patrons not affiliated with the institution. Our
licensing agreement will reflect this." I took this to mean that we could
give out the id and password to non-affiliates.  In any event, access is
also restricted by IP address.

QUESTIONS

We want to make these e-journals accessible, but we do not want to require
users to contact a reference librarian for an id and password every time
they wish to use them.  A possible solution is to add these journals to a
list of electronic journals on our Libraries Web site and provide the user
id and password immediately under the title (user would click on "Access
Information").  We would then specify restrictions as follows:

"Remote access to electronic journals published by Publisher XXX is
restricted to students, staff, and faculty at the University of Minnesota.
However, on-site access, from within a University library, is available to
all users.

To access Publisher XXX e-journals remotely, you will need to logon with
the following information [NB:  we are making these passwords up for the
purposes of this Liblicense-l message]:

                         User ID: learneduser
                         Password: studytime

My question is, is this acceptable?  Are we under any legal obligations
without a licensing agreement?  Are we under any ethical obligations in
light of the publisher's e-mail message?  We are trying to limit access to
the id and password file according to IP address, but have not yet been
successful.  Unfortunately, the U of M Libraries has not established
policies to guide such access issues.  We would be grateful for any
assistance you can provide.

Thank you very much.

Janice M. Jaguszewski
Coolections Coordinator