RE: open access to dissertations

This is an excellent perspective and points to the *many*
benefits and opportunities for publishers and libraries alike of
new technology. Sandy and Joe have talked about reviews (eg
Choice) and marketing. Choice is an effective review source, but
only 6-months+ after publication. The first 'bite of the apple'
has been missed for the presses. Integrated eApproval Plans are
growing.  If the eFormat is not available, the funds are spent on
other titles from other publishers who are making current content
available.  Choice review or not, the opportunities for many
titles are diminished if choice of formats and models is not
available at time of publication.

PDA gives libraries and publishers a 'second bite of the apple,'
but this time with the number of library 'selectors' multiplied
by thousands. If the discovery records are enriched with
searchable TOCs, that power is multiplied further and
significantly.

In implementing PDA (both print and e), at least some libraries
are planning to use the purchase & usage information to evaluate
their approval plans, ie is our plan not covering an area in
demand or is there not sufficient demand to warrant our plan's
coverage in certain areas?  It will be interesting to see how all
the new eTools affect sales and use of various types of materials
in academic libraries.

eContent changes many factors in the equation of who should be
buying what and for what purpose. Some questions I have are:

1)How has the 'trendiness' of PDA unbalanced an overarching
strategy for layering the collection development tools available
for print and ebooks? How can PDA mesh with the approval book or
slip plan(s)? What about integrated eApproval for core areas?
And how to fit in collections and packages? And subscription
opportunities?

2)And speaking of university presses, how does an approval plan
for university press titles compare with buying a collection of
university press titles? Integrated eAP for UPs provides the
eContent that fits the library's profile, essentially building a
tailored collection. Does the library have or want control over
a prefabricated 'collection'?  And how are the titles not
included in the publisher collection managed?  In the end, what
are the costs?

3)Duplication control?  How are PDA, Approval, series,
collections, print & e duplication managed?

4)How are records being managed? (discovery records, MARC
records, electronic invoicing records, TOC enrichment to enhance
discovery, removal of records) What is 'good enough' and how
much customization is required? And libraries must inform this
discussion: partnerships are needed, but which ones are most
useful?

There has to be at least one dissertation topic in all this!
But who will publish it? (And who will buy it is what the
publishers are wondering :-)

Mike