RE: open access to dissertations

Mike, since the problem is larger than any one press or any one
library, maybe there needs to be some larger sharing of aggregate
data with associations like the AAUP, ARL, and ACLS, which
then--depending on what the data show--might join forces to
approach administrators (through the AAU?) if this problem seems
to be continuing and serious.

I think what happens is that, for most books based on
dissertations, the most highly specialized get filtered out by
the acquiring editors, so that what actually gets published is
more like other monographs written later on in a scholar's
career.

I'm wondering if the "highly specialized" books you are talking
about as not selling swell at all are really best described that
way, or whether it is the field to which they contribute that
itself may be small and highly specialized. This has been a
recurrent problem ever since university presses began talking
about "endangered species" back in the late 1970s. It is similar
to the problem universities face in keeping open departments that
teach subjects appealing to only a small number of students, such
as some of the foreign languages in less common use.

Sandy Thatcher