Re: open access to dissertations

Of course, the library and publishing communities will have new
data to analyze soon as libraries move into greater participation
in patron driven acquisitions programs. If the records for any or
all of these categories of books (based on dissertations) are
dumped into library catalogs, we will see what the traffic looks
like from the reader side. We have always had interlibrary loan
statistics with which to work, and circulation figures after the
fact, but it will be interesting to see the results of allowing
library users to drive some of the monograph acquisition
"decision-making" up front. Some libraries may be willing to
start with a more expansive profile than what they've used for
their approval plans-and include more of the dissertation-related
titles. The results of including patron driven acquisitions in
collection development practices may be instructive for testing
what we think we know about what readers want to access from the
library.

The results of "patron driven" have so much to do with content is
made available, print and/or electronic preferences, the
discoverability of the material in catalogs, the amount of
management/oversight needed by the librarians, budget -and so
many more factors.

On another note, and as always, collaboration between publishers
and librarians is always more productive than the "blame game."

Laura Mullen

Laura Bowering Mullen
Behavioral Sciences Librarian
Library of Science and Medicine