AAAS/Science Selects TEMIS for Project with HighWire

*** With apologies for cross-posting.... ***

AAAS/Science Selects TEMIS for Semantics Content Enrichment
Project with HighWire
The American Association for the Advancement of Science Enhances
Search Experience and Linking of Content.

Washington DC, New York, Palo Alto, USA - April 7, 2011 - The
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
announced its decision to work with its ePublishing partner,
HighWire Press, and TEMIS, leading provider of semantic content
enrichment solutions for the Enterprise, to offer a new,
integrated, semantically fueled digital publishing program.

A global leader in Scientific, Technical and Medical publishing,
AAAS is the Washington, DC-based publisher of the renowned
journal Science, an international publication with an estimated
total readership of one million. The goal of this strategic
project is an enhanced online destination incorporating the
prestigious content of the Science family of Web sites, plus a
number of other digital assets under the AAAS umbrella.

"We wanted a flexible and portable semantics solution that could
plug into Science and our other research content on HighWire as
well as pull in other elements from our organization, such as
breaking news and information on careers in science," said
Deborah Rivera-Wienhold, Director of Business Operations, AAAS.
"TEMIS's impressive suite of tools for analyzing and leveraging
content seemed ideal for our requirements to better serve our
community by offering a unified and faceted user experience."

TEMIS provides an enterprise-wide solution in content enrichment
that can be extended to a variety of digital assets. "By making
online information products more compelling, Luxid? for Content
Enrichment Platform helps engage, retain and cross-sell to
publishers' audiences," said Guillaume Mazieres, TEMIS's
Executive Vice president for North American Operations. "We're
thrilled to work with AAAS to make their highly respected content
even more valuable to their broad community of users. HighWire's
open and scalable platform is perfectly poised to leverage our
semantic enrichment on behalf of Science and AAAS."

The AAAS project is part of a larger undertaking touching many
areas of AAAS' business, including the broad rubric of content
enrichment. "Our goal is to figure out how to make our content
more format-agnostic and self-aware," said Stewart Wills,
Science's Editorial Director for Web and New Media. "We're
focusing on ways to add value for authors through efficient
handling of papers and articles, for advertisers through improved
business intelligence, and ultimately for users through new
serendipity and discovery tools to help them manage today's
information glut."

TEMIS's solution for Semantic Content Enrichment, Luxid?, will
play a pivotal role in AAAS's plans to better align advertising
and marketing activities with its editorial products, improve
linkage of a variety of content, enhance search across its daily
workflow and archives, and ultimately drive membership and
revenues.

Luxid? automates the semantic enrichment of unstructured content,
producing metadata that help search engines return more relevant
results. It creates "facets" which are used to further explore
the search engine's results. Luxid? also connects content,
creating a network of semantic ties between documents. This
enables the suggesting of related and similar documents,
furthering the process of knowledge recommendation.

HighWire has offered semantically-driven features and services
for publishers for over 10 years. HighWire facilitates
discoverability both through their long-standing, custom
taxonomic and development efforts and through the integration of
third party solutions, such as TEMIS.

"We are extending the boundaries of HighWire's open platform
through an integration tool kit, emphasizing connectedness in
many forms, including semantics," said John Sack, HighWire's
Director. "We are enthusiastic about helping publishers collect
and connect content across many different repositories and look
forward to working with AAAS and TEMIS on this important
project."

About AAAS/Science
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) is
the world's largest general scientific society and publisher of
the journal Science (www.sciencemag.org) as well as Science
Translational Medicine (www.sciencetranslationalmedicine.org) and
Science Signaling (www.sciencesignaling.org). AAAS was founded in
1848 and includes some 262 affiliated societies and academies of
science, serving 10 million individuals. Science has the largest
paid circulation of any peer-reviewed general science journal in
the world, with an estimated total readership of 1 million. The
non-profit AAAS
(www.aaas.org) is open to all and fulfills its mission to
"advance science and serve society" through initiatives in
science policy; international programs; science education; and
more. For the latest research news, log onto EurekAlert!,
www.eurekalert.org, the premier science-news Web site, a service
of AAAS. See www.aaas.org

About TEMIS
TEMIS is the leading provider of Text Analytics-based content
enrichment software, turning unstructured data into actionable
knowledge, enabling advanced content analysis and strategic
information discovery.  Its Content Enrichment solution Luxid?
automatically associates value-added metadata to contents. Luxid?
addresses the needs of publishers as well as Enterprises,
enabling contents connection and information search optimization.

Founded in 2000, TEMIS operates in the United States, Canada, UK,
France and Germany, and is represented worldwide through its
network of certified partners. TEMIS' innovative solutions have
attracted the business of leading organizations such as AAAS
(American Association for the Advancement of Science), Agence
France-Presse, BASF, Bayer Schering Pharma, BNA (Bureau of
National Affairs), CARMA International, Editions Lefebvre-Sarrut,
Elsevier, EMC, Europol, French Ministry of Defence, French
Ministry of Finance, Ingenuity, Merck Serono, Nature Publishing
Group, Novartis, Philip Morris International, Sanofi-aventis,
Simon & Schuster, Springer Science+Business Media, The
McGraw-Hill Companies, and Thomson Reuters.
www.temis.com

About HighWire Press
At the forefront of strategic scholarly publishing, HighWire
Press provides digital content development and hosting solutions
to the scholarly publishing community. A division of the Stanford
University Libraries, HighWire has partnered with influential
societies, university presses, and other publishers since 1995 to
produce the definitive online versions of high-impact,
peer-reviewed journals, books, reference works, and other
scholarly content. The distinguished HighWire community shares
ideas and innovations in publishing through regular meetings, an
active discussion forum, and through the service of its highly
qualified staff.

The underlying infrastructure of HighWire's electronic publishing
platform is Web-services-oriented, flexible, and permeable,
allowing publishers to easily layer new software and services to
their sites that will meet the ever-changing needs of today's
online readers.  highwire.stanford.edu