RE: open access to dissertations

This is all very illuminating, Mike, and I greatly appreciate
your sharing this information.

I had not known before about the differential between commercial
and university press sales figures on revised dissertations. This
is very encouraging indeed, as it suggests that librarians do
recognize and value the peer-review procedures that university
presses are mandated (by AAUP membership by-laws) to follow.
(Commercial academic publishers may or may not follow such
procedures as rigorously, or at all; I know that Lynne Rienner,
for whom I work part-time now, does follow procedures that are
just as rigorous.  But because there is no prescribed procedure
that commercial academic publishers must follow, no librarian can
ever be sure whether they do or not.)

I am naturally very pleased at the results for Penn State Press.
Art history, as you know, has been under severe challenge for
many years, and some of the once leading publishers in this field
have abandoned it because of the high costs of publishing in it
and the special problems (like image permissions and the need for
very high-quality production) that it involves. At Penn State we
persevered despite these obstacles, and it is gratifying that
libraries are supporting the Press in this way. Before I left, I
succeeded in winning an NEH Challenge Grant to support publishing
in this and a number of other humanities fields, and I also
helped instigate the cooperative project in art history
publishing that the Mellon Foundation has now funded with Penn
State partnering with the presses at Duke, Penn, and Washington.
So there is still some hope for this field yet.

The figures for the Latin American titles are gratifying, too,
though I note that there is still a 10% difference between sales
of regular books and sales of revised dissertations. So the
problem still persists, even if it is at a less dire level than I
had earlier believed, based on Helmut's aggregated numbers.

This difference may still tempt acquiring editors to avoid
revised dissertations, since times are so tight now that even
small differences in sales are important. I see two possible ways
of ameliorating the problem:

1) Make it harder for YPB and other vendors to tell what is a
revised dissertation or not.

2) Provide more information about what the "value added" to the
dissertation has been in the process of revision.

In other words, offer less transparency or more.

The first strategy would require publishers at a minimum to take
steps: a) to make sure every author does not include information
in Acknowledgments that would reveal the book's origin as a
dissertation; b) to change the title so that it cannot readily be
matched with the dissertation's title; c) to refer to the author,
not as an assistant professor, but just as a teacher at X
university.

The second strategy would require publishers to include in the
front matter, perhaps as part of a Preface or even as a
separately labeled section, a detailed explanation of what the
author did to turn the dissertation into a book. This would
provide vendors and librarians with much more information on
which they could base their own recommendations about purchasing
each book or, with the PDA model, patrons who could better tell
if they needed the book rather than just relying on what the
dissertation contained.

I would welcome your comments about the utility of these
strategies--and the comments of librarians on this list. I prefer
greater transparency myself, but if the price of rescuing revised
dissertations from the bias in the system that now threatens
their viability as contributions to scholarly communication is
less transparency, I would not hesitate to adopt that strategy to
make YBP's job of categorizing books more difficult.  In line
with Kevin's observation, the path of least resistance (and cost)
will be followed, other things being equal, so raising YBP's cost
of categorizing may be the simplest way to solve the problem!

Sandy Thatcher