RE: open access to dissertations

Sandy,

One correction to the number of Revised Dissertations YBP
profiled from PSUP in 2010: it was 8, not 17 - and 3 were related
to Latin American studies.

As for the rest, I've shared as many numbers as I can in an open
list.  It is a bit disheartening to see how some decisions in
publishing are being made. As in politics, themes that strike a
chord are repeated till they gain a mantle of truth. Remember the
Josh Billings quote: "It ain't what you don't know that gets ya,
but what you think you know for sure, but just ain't so." You
write:" I hope YPB will make a habit of tracking these data over
time so that we can better gauge how serious a problem this is."

We do, and always have. When presses ask, we're happy to share
the data. We have regular visits from presses to look more deeply
into processes and data together. And these data (acquisitions by
publisher and other categories) are shared and discussed with
libraries on every visit to review their approval plans. The
number of Revised Dissertations being published has certainly
grown over the past decade (I did look at those numbers).  I have
not had time to look at how library acquisition of these titles
has trended, but even in a "bad" year such as 2010, the data show
that these titles, from university presses, have done well
compared with other UP titles.  This supports your position that
these are good scholarly titles and not too narrow or
specialized. It also confirms that libraries know it and are
acquiring these titles without prejudice (again, for Trade
presses, it's a different consideration).

On a somewhat heartening note, and completely unrelated to
dissertations, there are titles being published for little if any
commercial benefit by the university press.  Sales are dismal.
Libraries are not buying them because they truly are highly
specialized, but the titles are unique and important to
scholarship.  It would be worthwhile to explore ways to give
these titles (which I won't name for fear of 'killing' them)
greater reach.

Mike