Re: Libraries and dissertations

Weren't you picking on publishers, Joe, by saying its their
"responsibility to rectify the situation" by doing more
marketing? I was trying to point out that everyone shares some of
the blame here, by each party being focused so intently on their
own immediate self-interest that the larger problem gets swept
under the rug and no one feels any responsibility for solving it.
if we can all agree that 1) there is value in revised
dissertations above and beyond the dissertations on which they
are based and (2) junior faculty need to publish them to advance
in their careers, then we collectively need to look for solutions
and involve others, like administrators, to make changes that are
beyond the limited powers of each of our sectors to accomplish
separately.

Sandy Thatcher