Re: Google settlement rejected

I know that there is a great deal of scepticism about governments
in the US, and I suspect this is what Jim is reflecting here.
However, and a bit like democracy, although (democratic)
governments are far from perfect, they are still better than no
government.

The US government may have had numerous chances, and Congress may
have blown it so far, but there is no other way but to wait and
to push until they get it right. At least, this is what I would
do if I were a US citizen. And if congress gets to it, but gets
it wrong, there will be more work to be done to redress it.
Again, this is what a democracy is all about: no solution is ever
perfect or definitive. Yes, it will take years. Getting out of
the age of digital incunabula (Gregory Crane's phrase) will take
decades, which is not going to please the impatient ones among
us.

The Google settlement was a horror show for the future: a
monopolistic position can be extremely difficult to dislodge and
it may take decades to do so. The settlement would have ensured
digital incunabula for a very long time, and a control over
knowledge that would be deeply unhealthy. Google would have been
in the position of a unique and powerful librarian with a huge
library at his/her disposal, and that librarian could have
manipulated the card catalogue at will (the search algorithms)
without users being able to ascertain what is going on in the
back end of the process. This is anything but reassuring. Imagine
Baidu buying out Google in ten years...

As for the last sentence, I do not understand (neither do I
understand the reference to Johnny Mathis).

Jean-Claude Guedon