Re: More on Open Access citations

We should not forget that while free/open access may not increase
citations, it does appear to increase readership from a wider
group of potential readers [1, 2]. In trying to demonstrate
increased dissemination, we may have simply gotten lost chasing
the wrong metric. I'm a firm believer in the self-correcting
nature of science.

1. Davis PM, Lewenstein BV, Simon DH, Booth JG, Connolly MJL.
Open access publishing, article downloads and citations:
randomised trial. /BMJ /2008;337:a568.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.a568.

2. Davis PM. Does Open Access Lead to Increased Readership and
Citations? A Randomized Controlled Trial of Articles Published in
APS Journals. /The Physiologist/ 2010;53(6):197-201.
http://j.mp/hVtXLa

-Phil