RE: A Useful Clarification of Harvard's OA Fund

At the moment it would seem that a surprising number of authors
manage to pay APCs even if they see lack of funds as a barrier
(SOAP survey). Yet they do not seem to me going to funds
available from their institutions as much as one would expect. I
suspect that most researchers squirrel money away and use it for
this purpose instead of buying books, paying for travel etc but I
do not know: I do not think anyone does.

However the point I want to make is that very few funders
actually offer to pay for all papers coming from the research
they fund. The researchers has to decide when they apply for a
grant how much money they will need and I think (but am not sure)
that many funders expect the money to be spent when the project
"ends". It is like any other part of a "materials" budget.

But of course many papers resulting from the research will be
actually submitted some time after the project has ended.
Wellcome is different and I believe Howard Hughes is also.
Wellcome will agree to pay APCs quite a while after the grant has
finished and are very liberal in their help.

Therefore if a an institution really wants their researchers to
publish in a mainstream OA journal they should perhaps not refuse
funding to researchers with grants and (as suggested below) have
a very non-bureaucratic stance in this complicated matter.

I am impressed that Tromso is willing to put its money where its
mouth is.

Anthony