RE: Ebooks in libraries

Firstly, thanks for responding - I was clearly looking at the
question narrowly, based on our niche experience in scholarly,
social sciences publishing. Nonetheless, here are some reactions
to the points made by the three Js:

For us, academic libraries are the largest piece of the library
business because public libraries have never shown interest in
our books. We've tried recently to get them interested, but the
demand isn't there even at very low prices. This doesn't surprise
me much, I don't imagine many look to public libraries for
scholarly books so no wonder public librarians don't spend their
budgets on us - isn't this the nub of the issue?

We publish in PDF-with-Excel (with a few titles in html) because
that's what users seem to prefer. If users started emailing us
with requests for different formats, we'd re-engineer. (off list,
I asked Jason's advice on alternative formats and their
advantages).

OECD sells e-books without DRM - always has done (since 1998) -
and we're selling more e-copies today than we ever sold in print.
In theory, one e-copy could do the job, providing everyone took
the time to share it around, but that's the crux, isn't it: 'if
everyone took the time'? We believe that if we bundle useful,
time-saving, services around the basic e-book, a sustainable
business can be had. Isn't this what iTunes did?

On licenses, for the record, OECD allows librarians to use OECD
iLibrary for ILL (electronically) and to create e-reserves. Other
publishers might be like to know that encouraging maximum use of
our service seems a good policy to have and hasn't brought the
house crashing down financially.

Academic books might well 'have to piggy-back' on the consumer
infrastructure, but is this new? In the print world, didn't the
consumer infrastructure carry academic books too - in parallel to
a niche academic infrastructure? My guess is that the current
academic infrastructure for e-books will continue to evolve in
parallel with a consumer infrastructure - after all, we have our
iLibrary service running in parallel with our books on
NetLibrary/E-books.com (for librarians who want to purchase them
one-by-one) and, for consumers, on Amazon - and the coming Google
service too.

But, no, I don't know how to get a public library to make Steig
Larson's latest available in a non-annoying form . . .

Toby