Re: Another take on Wikipedia and (academic) libraries

This almost never happens, at least in the English Wikipedia,
considering that Wikipedia has a rule that original research,
including original interpretation, is prohibited; this limits the
possibilities to a popular work or a textbook.  We'd love to see
good popular writing, but it means sacrificing the satisfactions
of individual authorship: anyone in the world can change anything
you write, sometimes--but not necessarily--for the better. This
essentially limits the use to didactic writing, and the Wikipedia
style is very abbreviated--it can no more be used as a
satisfactory textbook than one could have used Brittanica.

What those like myself who work there to help develop scientific
and other academic content really hope to see is authors first
publishing original scholarly papers, and then adding a summary
of the work to the pertinent Wikipedia article.  Even better,
authors simultaneously publishing review or didactic works in
professional journals, and simultaneously writing a version
suitable for a general audience on Wikipedia.

But at least we hope that when someone recognizes an error or
omission in Wikipedia, they just add it. Anyone can edit, not
just the amateurs.

What Wikipedia really has to offer is the basic virtue of open
access: readership. If you can explain something clearly the way
an expert should be able to, there is no other medium which will
let your explanation reach so many millions of people. And it
won't be just in English--there are Wikipedia editions in over
270 other languages that can translate and use the material.

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
previously:
Bibliographer and Research Librarian
Princeton University Library
dgoodman@princeton.edu

presently, a volunteer administrator at Wikipedia