Re: Ebooks in libraries

Responding to the comment below about the (lack of) ability to
buy individual titles and build e-book collections:

Ebrary has launched a "Patron Driven Acquisition" model which
allows libraries to pick-and-mix titles from a range of
publishers to build their collections. It also allows free trials
which activate a purchase/subscription once the user (=patron)
has made a specified amount of use of the e-book (e.g. the first
5 downloads are free but the 6th actitates a purchase) which will
allow libraries to buy books that their patrons really use (which
is not always the case in the print environment).
http://www.ebrary.com/corp/librariesPatron.jsp Pippa

*****

Pippa Smart
Research Communication and Publishing Consultant
PSP Consulting
Tel: +44 7775 627688 or +44 1865 864255
email: pippa.smart@gmail.com
Web: www.pspconsulting.org