RE: Seven ARL Libraries Face Major Planned or Potential Budget Cut=

  • To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Seven ARL Libraries Face Major Planned or Potential Budget Cut=
  • From: "Rais, Shirley (LLU)" <srais@llu.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 20:59:19 -0400 (EDT)

I have to take issue with this part of Anthony's (or was it
Pieter Bolman's?) comments on the "Big Deal:"

"No-one is now happy with it but at present the new model eludes
publishers or at least some publishers."

Froma bottom line basis, not a theoretical or philosophical one,
big deals can be great deals for smaller academic libraries.
After a major and painful cut in our serials budget in 1995, we
were nowhere near getting back to our former holdings until we
started taking advantage of big deals through consortia purchases
and standalone purchases.

Yes, in our first big deal, we had a large percentage with no
use, but the number of titles with SIGNIFICANT use went far
beyond our original subscribed title list.  So why should we be
bothered by the fact that there still remained many titles with
little or no use?  They are electronic, they aren't harmful to
anything!  We're not wasting them by putting them in landfills
because we don't need them!  In return, we gained access to new
titles that we demonstrably needed based on their use and which
we could never have paid for on a title-by-title subscription
basis either consortially or institutionally.  Our faculty are
happy and comment all the time that they appreciate the
restoration of 1995 cancellations and availability of newer
titles they never had before.  One of our significant researchers
told me just yesterday that his use of other research libraries
and ILL is rare now because of our increased titles through
electronic packages.

If some of our "Big deals" were to go away because the ARLs and
others who are vocally against big deals convince publishers and
others that "No-One" likes them, I think that more than just our
institution would be negatively affected.  Yes, you would restore
my ability to control title by title selection.  Thanks to
Counter, I'd have more reliable usage stats than previously, so I
could actually select titles based on what our USERS are actually
using.  But at what cost?

Sure I'd be rid of package titles that weren't being used, but I
would end up having to cut titles with significant usage because
I couldn't afford them on a title-by-title basis.  I actually
started doing this last year with one package.  Based on usage
and subject matter I determined the titles I should subscribe to
individually and got about 1/3 through my list and was already up
to the total package price.  Rather than deciding what I should
start cutting (remember these are titles that our users selected
& USED), I stopped there and renewed the package!  Let the unused
titles linger in an electronic wasteland doing no harm (at least
from my point of view)!

Opinions are my own--not my institution's!

Shirley Rais, MLS  -  Chair, Serials & Electronic Resources Dept.
Library Liaison to the School of Public Health
LOMA LINDA UNIVERSITY | University Libraries

11072 Anderson Street, Loma Linda, California 92350
office (909) 558-4583 * fax (909) 558-4919 * srais@llu.edu