Picker on Google Book Antitrust Issues

Listmembers may be interested in the new article on antitrust
issues arising from the proposed Google Book settlement, by Prof.
Randal C. Picker of the University of Chicago Law School,
http://ssrn.com/abstract=1387582 .  HT to Law Librarian Blog.
Here are excerpts from the abstract:

"This paper considers the proposed settlement agreement between
Google and the Authors Guild relating to Google Book Search....

"First, the agreement calls for Google to act as agent for rights
holders in setting the price of online access to consumers.
Google is tasked with developing a pricing algorithm that will
maximize revenues for each of those works. Direct competition
among rights holders would push prices towards some measure of
costs and would not be designed to maximize revenues. As I think
that that level of direct coordination of prices is unlikely to
mimic what would result in competition, I have real doubts about
whether the consumer access pricing provision would survive a
challenge under Section 1 of the Sherman Act.

"Second, . . . the opt out class action will make it possible for
Google to include orphan works in its book search service. . . .
[T]he settlement agreement [] creates market power through this
mechanism.... We can mitigate the market power that will
otherwise arise through the settlement by expanding the number of
rights licenses available under the settlement agreement.
Qualified firms should have the power to embrace the
going-forward provisions of the settlement agreement. We
typically find it hard to control prices directly and instead
look to foster competition to control prices. Non-profits are
unlikely to match up well with the overall terms of the
settlement agreement, which is a share-the-revenues deal. But we
should take the additional step of unbundling the orphan works
deal from the overall settlement agreement and create a separate
license to use those works. All of that will undoubtedly add more
complexity to what is already a large piece of work, and it may
make sense to push out the new licenses to the future. That would
mean ensuring now that the court retains jurisdiction to do that
and/or giving the new Registry created in the settlement the
power to do this sort of licensing.

"Third, there is a risk that approval by the court of the
settlement could cause antitrust immunities to attach to the
arrangements created by the settlement agreement. As it is highly
unlikely that the fairness hearing will undertake a meaningful
antitrust analysis of those arrangements, if the district court
approves the settlement, the court should include a clause - call
this a no Noerr clause - in the order approving the settlement
providing that no antitrust immunities attach from the court's
approval."

Robert C. Richards, Jr., J.D.*, M.S.L.I.S., M.A.
Law Librarian & Legal Information Consultant
Philadelphia, PA
richards1000@comcast.net
* Member New York bar, retired status.