Re: Seven ARL Libraries Face Major Planned or Potential Budget Cuts

Its is interesting that the RLIN study cited in the RUP editorial
showed that:

"Far more importantly, these big deals give university
researchers access to unprecedented numbers of titles. And the
evidence shows that they are making good use of this: studies for
JISC and others have shown heavy use of journals to which
libraries did not formerly subscribe. A recent study for the
Research Information Network found that articles from 99% of the
titles available in a range of university libraries were
downloaded over a four-month period."

While at the same time the evidence cited in the editorial from
the Rockefeller University Library showed that:

"For one of the bundles, the top 10% of journals garner over 85%
of the hits to the bundle from users at the University. Over 40%
of the journals in the bundle had no hits at all from the
University in 2008!"

It would be interesting to understand how these two contrasting
positions can be reconciled.

Also I would be interested to know [from the librarians on this
list by direct email to me please] which publishers refuse to
sell individual subscriptions to libraries.

Many Thanks

Chris Beckett
chris@cbathome.demon.co.uk