RE: Seven ARL Libraries Face Major Planned or Potential Budget Cuts

The discrepancy between Rockefeller and RIN is interesting. I
cannot account fully for it, but I can report that the usage at
our library is much more similar to the report from the
Rockefeller Univ. Library (which reports that the top 10% of
journals garnered over 85% of the hits and over 40% had no hits
at all in '08).

As a result of several years of level funding and no other budget
strategies, the Library at SIUC had to discontinue its
participation in a bundled package from an important publisher
this year. The decision prompted us to look carefully and closely
at the usage stats. I have not looked at these numbers in several
months but I did a quick recalculation. Over a one-year period,
there was less than one access per month to apx. 80% of the
titles in this bundle (total number of journals in the bundle was
apx. 2040); further, some 55% of the titles were accessed zero or
one time all year.

Rossner argues librarians are buying "hundreds of journals they
do not need in order to access the journals their constituents
actually read." The numbers from SIUC appear to support this but
I think the conclusion is more nuanced. Since the price we paid
for this particular package was a negotiated one based in no
small part on our past record of print-based subscriptions one
could argue that these 80% were simply a very generous lanyap due
to the wonders of electronic distribution! Enjoy!! No doubt this
is an argument publishers would suggest... and I think there is
some truth to this.

I know what we gained from our decision to withdraw from this
package: control over our subscriptions with this particular
publisher. And given our budget situation, this was critically
important. We also gained a total reduced price because we used
our new-found control to reduce our total cost.

What did we lose? Well, most obviously, we lost access to a whole
bunch of journals. However, with the majority of the titles
seeing minimal or no usage, the loss was not especially damaging,
in my opinion. Too, with an ARL ranking formula that is now
focused on expenditures and not on 'da numbas, the loss did not
hurt there as well. (For any ARL library, this would have been an
important consideration just a few years ago.) What hurt most was
the negotiated price caps. As I have reluctantly and sadly
reported to the Provost, we are now paying less in total cost but
much more per title had we been able to continue our
participation.

But it is critically important to note what the publisher lost:
reduced income. This publisher is now receiving less income from
us. And it seems to me that this is the real tragedy of bundled
packages as currently configured. When they become unsustainable,
the Library has no choice but to withdraw. We must pay less so we
must withdraw. But the publisher suffers as well because the
total income stream is reduced. This is a lose/lose situation.
There has to be a better way. There has to be a way where
libraries can gain some flexibility and control in managing costs
within the parameters of an electronic platform. Had we had such
flexibility across platforms, our options would have increased
and the reductions to this publisher would surely have been
reduced.

-- David Carlson
Morris Library
SIU Carbondale