Re: Quantification of "values"

For what it's worth, there is an interesting discussion by Raym
Crow of metrics for judging the "value" of publishing
partnerships in the humanities and social sciences in
"Campus-Based Publishing Partnerships: A Guide to Critical
Issues"  (Washington, DC: Scholarly Publishing and Academic
Resources Coalition, released January 22, 2009):

http://www.arl.org/sparc/partnering

See especially sections 5.6.3 "The Importance of Demonstrating
Value" (which responds to Ari Belensky's challenge) and 5.6.4
"Developing Metrics" where Crow makes this observation: "The
point is not to monetize every activity and benefit: the goal is
to describe explicitly how an initiative aligns with the
priorities of the host institution and to demonstrate its value
relative to the investment required to support it."

I have this fresh in mind because I have just finished writing a
review of this guide for Learned Publishing!

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press