Re: Copyright in Fonts/Typefaces

I have been advised that if you create PDF using Acrobat 7 or
later then it will not embed fonts unless the font creator has
authorised distribution of the font in this manner. Therefore if
you get a PDF created with Acrobat 7 or later, it will either
have "legal" fonts - or no embedded fonts, which means the user's
machine will interpret as best it can (and therefore it might
look a bit different!)

For PDFs created with earlier versions or Acrobat or another
system, the embedded font could be illegal. (Some fonts are legal
if only printed as low res (i.e. on local printers), but not
legal if sent to a printing press, and various other
permutations!)

So I guess the answer is to insist your publishers use Acrobat 7
or later to generate files - and get their
designers/typesetters/etc. to only use fonts which have
appropriate permissions!

Pippa Smart
Research Communication and Publishing Consultant
PSP Consulting - www.pspconsulting.org
Tel: +44 1865 864255
Mob: +44 7775 627688
Skype: pippasmart