Re: the value of IRs

All good points, Sandy, and there is clearly some daylight
between the potential benefits of an IR and what we are seeing in
their actual execution.  I can think of two reasons off the top
of my head why a series of departmental web sites would not be as
effective as an IR in performing the tasks I previously
enumerated, First, there are surely economies of scale to be
gained by using a common software platform across multiple campus
units.  The duplication of effort that goes into manning
individual department web sites is nontrivial.  Each needs an IT
person, a server, some form of content management system, a web
publishing mechanism, and so forth.  An IR streamlines these
redundancies.  Second, there are certainly people - prospective
donors, students, researchers, etc. - who are interested not just
in a single unit's scholarship but in the depth and breadth of an
institution's intellectual output. For these souls, an IR
provides a better window into what the institution as a whole is
all about as compared to a series of piecemeal departmental web
sites.

Best, Greg

--
Greg Tananbaum
Consulting Services at the Intersection of Technology, Content, & Academia