MIT Press signs with Tizra to build online computer library

*MIT Press Teams with Tizra to Build an Online Computer Science
Library*

Tizra's Agile PDF software to be used in press's first effort to
broaden focus of online offerings beyond traditional scholarly
and professional audiences.

April 30, 2008 (Cambridge, MA) - MIT Press has signed an
agreement with Tizra, Inc., to use the company's recently
launched Agile PDF software platform to create a website that
will enable users to find, buy and view online versions of books
published by the press.  The site, which will carry MIT Press
branding, is scheduled to go live next month with books from the
press's world-renowned Computer Science and related collections.

MIT Press's print works have long been noteworthy for reaching a
broad audience beyond scholarly and professional readers, but
prior to the initiative with Tizra, its online audience has been
more specialized.  Because the new service will be available to
individual as well as university and institutional customers, it
represents a significant step toward broader online access to MIT
Press content.  The service also represents the first time the
press has sold online versions of its computer and information
science books, which naturally appeal to online researchers.

"We are very happy to be working with Tizra," says MIT Press
Director Ellen W. Faran. "Our books reach a wide audience of
professionals, students, and general readers, and the Tizra
platform enables us to offer them a greater choice of digital
formats.  Most importantly, it will allow us to experiment with a
variety of electronic offerings to find out what will best meet
the needs of our readers."

For Tizra, the signing caps a series of deals that had already
exceeded sales goals since the launch of Agile PDF in February.
"Signing with MIT Press so soon after launch represents the
strongest validation of our product and business model we could
have hoped for," says David Durand, CEO of Rhode-Island based
Tizra.  "Not only are they one of the largest and mos t
prestigious university presses in the country, but they have a
long track record of technological innovation, which we are proud
to be associated with."

Part of the reason MIT chose Tizra's new platform for the
initiative was the flexibility and direct control Agile PDF
provides over site branding and product definition, without the
investment and risks associated with custom software development.
"Tizra offered us a very attractive way to build on our own
brand, and to create new online products that play to the
particular strengths of our publishing program," said Gita
Manaktala, Marketing Director at the press.  "Like other
publishers, we are still learning the best ways to distribute our
books online, so it's imperative that we work with technology
that will let us respond and adapt quickly."

For many MIT Press authors, editors and readers, however, the
advantages of online access are already beyond doubt.  "Authors
have been asking about online packaging - sometimes even before
they sign with us," says Ada Brunstein, the press's Computer
Science editor.  "They know it's important to readers, and many
also believe seeing the content online will actually increase
interest in purchasing the printed book."

*About The MIT Press*

The MIT Press, one of the largest American university presses,
publishes scholarly books and journals in the humanities, social
sciences, and sciences. With a long-standing commitment to
distinctive design and the creative use of new technologies, The
MIT Press publishes innovative research that pushes the
boundaries of knowledge as well as comprehensive works that
contribute to a foundational understanding of their fields. More
information can be found at http://mitpress.mit.edu.

About Tizra

Tizra's mission is to provide content owners large and small with
unprecedented control over the marketing, sales and delivery of
their online content.  Tizra's first product, Agile PDF, is a
hosted service that enables non-technical staff to create new
online products from existing content and sell them through
publisher branded web sites with highly flexible business terms.
The company is headquartered in Providence, Rhode Island, and
funded in part by Rhode Island's Slater Technology Fund.  More at
http://tizra.com