From: "Sandy Thatcher" <sgt3@psu.edu>
To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 10:54 PM
Subject: RE: Certification and Dissemination

I agree with almost everything you say here, Stevan, but I do wonder how many current publishers using a subscription model will convert to Gold OA service-providers, mainly because I don't think the fees for these services will ever get high enough to provide the profit margins to which commercial publishers have become accustomed--and some will probably decide to invest their capital elsewhere where it will get a better ROI. University presses may be more likely to do so because they will charge less and have more of a mission-oriented focus anyway, being units of universities dedicated to the same values.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press