Re: the value of IRs

I expect you're right, Greg, but then my follow-up question is: why is there a need for an IR as opposed to departmental or unit web sites, which provide the requisite information to targeted audiences such as the ones you mention? This is another variation of the question whether disciplinary web sites do not better serve the interests of most faculty than general, all-inclusive IRs. Are IRs established as umbrellas with very specific departmental or unit sites included within them as subsections? If they are not, then I don't see how they could serve the functions you point out here.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press

Sandy, this is a good, provocative question: to whom does the IR actually make an institution visible? I suspect this audience goes beyond legislators and other governmental officials. Among the other constituencies an IR targets:

- Private donors. The IR can serve as a valuable marketing tool for alumni associations. It can demonstrate the vibrancy of a particular research unit, department, center, institute, lab, or program. A graduate of Berkeley's Boalt Hall School of Law, for example, might be more inclined to send an annual donation if she were easily able to see the ongoing scholarly output from her alma mater.

- Prospective students, graduate students, postdocs, and new faculty hires. The IR, by rendering visible the scholarship associated with a specific unit, can serve as a valuable marker for individuals potentially interested in intersecting with that unit. What is the focus of a lab's research? What types of dissertations are being authored in a department? Understanding the output of a given unit helps folks make informed decisions regarding the suitability of the fit between institution and individual.

It is true that one might reasonably ask whether IRs are resonating with these audiences any more effectively than with legislators. It does seem likely, at the very least, that these constituencies are better equipped to, as Sandy wrote, "pass judgment as to the quality or 'relevance' of such research".

Best, Greg

Greg Tananbaum
Consulting Services at the Intersection of Technology, Content, & Academia
(510) 295-7504
gtananbaum@gmail.com
http://www.scholarnext.com