On Parasitism and Double-Dipping

On 5-May-08, at 7:17 PM, Ian.Russell wrote:

I think, though, that parasitic describes the nature of unfunded mandates requiring deposit into repositories which rely on certification from journals rather well. It was intended to be descriptive rather than pejorative and is actually highly accurate.
Ian, what do you mean by "unfunded mandates" to deposit?

And what would you consider funded, nonparasitic mandates?

I understood you to have replied, earlier, that by this you do *not* mean "double-dipping" -- i.e., you do *not* mean publishers expecting to be paid via institutional subscriptions, as usual, and *also* to be paid extra in exchange for authors making their own published, certified articles OA by self-archiving them.

Single-dipping means one or the other: either recover costs from subscriptions or recover costs from Gold OA publication charges, but not both.

So if it is not double-dipping that you mean by funded, nonparasitic institutional mandates to make their authors' own published, certified articles OA by self-archiving them, please do say what it is that you do mean.

Stevan Harnad