RE: OA Mandates, Embargoes, and the "Fair Use" Button

If this is what the "Fair Use Button" is all about, then Rick is right, and Stevan is profoundly misguided in thinking that an author reserves any kind of "fair use" rights after signing a contract that transfers all rights to the publisher, which is the typical transfer agreement used in journal publishing. It doesn't matter whether it is the peer-reviewed but not final version or the final PDF, nothing can be transferred by the author to anyone else unless it is specifically allowed by the contract once the contract has been signed. In recent years, many publishers have relaxed their proprietary control by allowing authors to do many more things, such as posting peer-reviewed but not final versions on their own web sites. But the key word here is "allowed": the author has no "fair use" right to do this absent a clause in the contract permitting such activity.

It's also interesting to me that Stevan considers self-archiving to reduce all publications costs to just the cost of peer review. I guess that means he has no respect for the value of copyediting, which does indeed cost money. It would be a much devalued world if we had to rely on authors alone to master the niceties of the English language. In my experience of forty years in publishing (beginning as a copyeditor), I have met few authors who do not benefit from copyediting.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press