RE: OA Mandates, Embargoes, and the "Fair Use" Button

I don't believe I have misrepresented "commercial purposes" as
Andrew Adams suggested. To keep things reasonably short. Firstly,
the notion of commercial competition with or substitution for the
use of a copyright work is dealt with by the application of the
fairness test in "fair dealing" in UK law (we do not have "fair
use") and not through the "commercial purposes" amendment in 2003
to the 1988 Act. This has been the approach in UK law since at
least 1911. Secondly, I did not suggest that academics enjoy any
more or less privileges than others. They don't. The brief
scenario I put concerned someone in a research lab in a
commercial firm being supplied with a copy of an item where the
copyright in the item has been transferred to the publisher
(Bernard's particular concern in the original posting was to
"after the author has given up his copyrights to the editor.").
What people do in permitting use of their own copyright material,
and how they do it, is their business. Where the use is
commercial and is of a publisher's item then its supply, by any
means, is subject to the framework of the law as established in
2003. Thirdly, although there is as yet no case law it is quite
clear that in UK law the issue of "commercial purposes" relates
to the use to which the item will be put (whether for research or
private study irrespective of the context) and if that use is
"commercial" then within the UK only the copyright owner can
authorise copying, unless the institution is licensed by an
organisation such as the Copyright Licensing Agency under a
licence that allows commercial use. I do not dispute that there
is ambiguity and difficulty in interpreting "commercial
purposes."  UK universities are licensed (i.e. we pay for it) for
the commercial copying that academics are currently doing on
campus.

That is the position.

The whole issue of what constitutes commercial/non-commercial use
and how this should be managed is something which has vexed UK
academic libraries for the last 4 years.

Where authors own the copyright or are using a version other than
the publisher's final one then they can authorise what they want
through any button and whatever the button is called.

Laurence Bebbington