RE: OA Mandates, Embargoes, and the "Fair Use" Button

> It is my impression that rights expertise is so focussed on the
> formal that it has lost sight of the functional: OA has nothing
> to do with commercial rights, either formally or functionally.

This depends entirely on the model of OA under consideration.
Both the Bethesda and Berlin statements use the following
language: "The author(s) and the copyright holder(s) ... grant(s)
to all users a free, irrevocable, worldwide right of access to,
and a license to copy, use, distribute, transmit and display the
work publicly and to make and distribute derivative works."
(The Bethesda statement adds the word "perpetual" before the
phrase "right of access"; the Budapest statement phrases the same
ideas slightly differently.)  By granting to the world at large
the right to copy, distribute, display and create derivative
works, authors effectively divest themselves of all the rights
that traditionally accrue to authors exclusively.  Whether this
is a good thing or a bad thing is open to debate, but there's no
question that the effect of OA under any of these three models
has both a formal and a functional effect on authors' rights.

> I expect that one can waive one's right to breath air too, if
> one is silly enough to agree to do so, but that, too, is not
> the point under discussion here...

It's exactly the point that was under discussion.  Your statement
was that "Fair use is not a right that a copyright transfer
agreement can take away from anyone, especially the author," and
it is completely wrong.

---
Rick Anderson
Dir. of Resource Acquisition