RE: Reply to David Prosser

Dear Joe

I would be very interested in seeing such comments from NFPs,
especially if they could be placed in the context.  Perhaps a
piece of work could be commissioned to ask NFPs what they see as
the greatest threats to their operations and the greatest
opportunities over the next ten years.  Open access is just one
part of a changing environment (including falling subscriptions -
both institutional and personal, site and national licenses, new
publishing technologies, etc.).

My comment on the big deal was a specific one and I may not have
expressed it well.  I see the increasing proportion of library
budgets being spent on the big deals offered by a small number of
large publishers as being a threat to NFPs.  With a few
exceptions (e.g., BioOne, Project Euclid, the ALPSP Learned
Journals Collection), NFPs are not able to package their titles
in big deals and so are not able to compete on a level playing
field. So this is not a question of whether big deals are good or
bad for libraries, but what effect they have on NFPs.
Personally, I think that they are a much greater threat to NFPs
than open access.

Best wishes

David C Prosser PhD
Director