Re: Reply to David Prosser

I applaud Joe's call for more evidence from the NFP publishers. It would be good, for example, to know what percentage of their surpluses they plough back into bursaries etc. I am prepared to believe that this "science dividend" is important, but if we are to take account of it in the move towards OA we do need to know how big a factor it is. From JISC's experience with NFPs in Mary Waltham's study for us on learned society business models, I know that societies are reluctant to open up their accounts, but surely they could trust an independent third party with the information.

To answer the point about the effect of "big deals", they harm NFPs in transferring library money away from individual subscriptions (often NFPs) into block subscriptions from the major (usually commercial) publishers. Yes, libraries pushed for these "big deals" but are now beginning to realise the disadvantage in locking up a large proportion of their budgets.

Fred Friend
JISC Scholarly Communication Consultant
Honorary Director Scholarly Communication UCL
E-mail ucylfjf@ucl.ac.uk