Reply to David Prosser

David Prosser wrote:

"Could you provide a paper where the your claim that 'The call for Open Access is simply diminishing the NFPs.' is explored in more detail?"

This is a fair question. I know of no such paper.

Perhaps this would be a good time for the participants in not-for-profit academic publishing to offer their thoughts on this matter. In any number of offline discussions, I have been told of the problems that OA poses for the NFPs, but David is not out of bounds in asking to hear the evidence. Could the NFP publishers who are part of this mailgroup share some of their comments with David and others who are of his point of view? If people keep silent, it is hard to see why the advocates of OA would temper their activism.

As some NFP staff members may have institutional constraints on public statements, I would be happy to forward their anonymous comments to this list, assuming I can get them by the stern gaze of our moderator.

There is one item in David's post, however, to which I am compelled to respond personally:

"It would also be useful to have an explanation for why in your view open access is a greater threat to NFPs than, say, the continued success of big deal offerings from large publishers."

I don't know where this question comes from. I have never been a supporter of the so-called "big deals" from a library's point of view. The "big deal" substitutes quantity for quality. But if these bundled packages have been successful, it is because libraries [and/or their readers] have wanted them.

Joe Esposito