Re: A comment (RE: Accession suggestion)

Dear Dr. Anderson,

Thank you for taking the time to examine NSDL and consider it for
your online catalog. I only recently got to your note as I was
away.

Whereas the vast majority of collections and individual items
NSDL describes and links to are indeed free/unrestricted, the
database also holds some metadata associated with resources that
require authorization, as well as records associated with
products available for purchase, including print books, software,
and articles in periodicals. This is true as NSDL encourages
academic and research publishers and educational software
development firms--in addition to university- and
organization-based digital libraries--to contribute to the
Library.  NSDL in this way seeks to present the largest and most
diverse representation of materials from STEM research and
educational communities.

The three groups that coordinate activities related to the NSDL
central portal and metadata repository are in the process of
discussing on how best to illustrate the the division between
open resources, products for sale, and materials for which only
summary information is available without authorization, as well
as the technical challenges of the various options.

Perhaps we could alter the MARC record description to indicate
that NSDL consists of free and restricted materials.

Please advise and thank you for your comments.

Sincerely,

Michael Luby