Re: Response to Janellyn Kleiner

Concede the field?  No.  But it is no longer a growth industry.
The used book market (mostly in bricks and mortar, not online) is
about a third of the business now.  This has put enormous
pressure on the textbook publishers.  Note that this does not
apply in equal measure to the publishers of books used in
colleges that are not, strictly speaking, textbooks, such as
paperback editions of classic literature;  Random House and
Penguin are being troubled by used books somewhat, but nothing in
comparison to the texts from Pearson and McGraw.

In order to compete in texts now, it is necessary to be huge;
current estimates are that the top six textbook publishers
comprise about 85% of the new book market.  (Most observers put
the new textbook market at around $4.5 billion.  Google, in
comparison, is all of 8 years old and has revenue of around $7
billion.) The furor over textbook prices is a puzzler to me.  I
doubt I am the only one who has heard a representative of an
institution whose undergraduate tuition is just shy of $40,000 a
year complain about the $800 average costs for books.

What you are likely to see is the publishing industry migrating
to ebooks as a means to suppress the used book market.  So the
new biology text that a student purchases for $120 new or $85
used will morph into an ebook for $75.  This strategy is not
likely to get much pick-up in other segments of the industry.

Joe Esposito