RE: A comment (RE: Accession suggestion)

> Perhaps we could alter the MARC record description to indicate that
> NSDL consists of free and restricted materials.

This certainly wouldn't hurt, but the problem is that many (if
not most) patrons will link to NSDL from a page outside of the
online catalog, such as a database list.  The library could
include a similar note in its description of the database, but
few patrons will read the note carefully before clicking through
to the product.  I think it would be best if the product
description on the welcome page ("NSDL is the Nation's FREE
online library for education and research in Science, Technology,
Engineering, and Mathematics") were a bit more forthcoming about
the fact that it's really a mixture of truly free, temporarily
free and subscription-only resources.  Then users will enter the
site with more realistic expectations about what they'll get.

Just my $.02,
Rick Anderson

----
Rick Anderson