Re: Print-Only Subscription Trend

Tom,

Please see our terms and conditions at
http://americanliterature.dukejournals.org/misc/inst_terms.dtl. Duke
Press does allow ILL. Our policy is below.

Interlibrary loan: A hard copy printed from the electronic files of Duke University Press Journals ONLINE may be supplied to another institution by mail or fax or secure transmission using Ariel or its equivalent (whereby the electronic file is deleted immediately after printing). The supply of such copies must conform to CONTU (National Commission on New Technological Uses of Copyright Works) guidelines or similar restrictions to fair use provisions under copyright law.

Kim

Tom Williams wrote:

I hadn't heard about Duke's policy. I'm going to have my folks check to see if we receive (for now anyway) any E Duke titles. If we do we'll have to re-think our subscriptions. Our policy is to NOT sign on the dotted line when a vendor/publisher has this restriction in its license agreement. CONTU guidelines must prevail.

Tom Williams

Thomas L. Williams, A.H.I.P., M.S.L.S.
Director, Biomedical Libraries
University of South Alabama
College of Medicine
Mobile, Alabama 36688-0002
twilliam@bbl.usouthal.edu

Stephen Mears wrote:

Maybe it's also because many publishers, don't know about Duke
University Press, don't allow the provision of inter library
loans from electronic versions.

Stephen Mears
Information Services Librarian
Gardiner Library Service