RE: Institutional Journal Costs in an Open Access Environment

If the Springer or the Elsevier [etc.] journals are paid for by
author fees, the library will not need to subscribe to them. If
the library will not need to subscribe to them, it will not need
the money it has been using for it.

There are now two choices for the library: a/ use the money for
subsidizing the faculty's publishing in such journals b/ let the
Dean use the money to subsidize the faculty's publishing in such
journals.

Who is naive enough to think that a library could keep the money?

The best the library will be able to do, is to let the Dean use
half the money for subsidizing faculty publication, and let the
library use the other half for improving library resources
generally. I would strongly advise proposing this very soon--if
the administration proposes it before the library does, the
probable result will be for the library to give up 90% of the
money for subsidizing faculty publications, and be generously
permitted to keep 5 or 10% for library purchases.

I think the library can expect the cooperation of the humanities
faculty, who are desperately in need of some source of money for
publishing subsidies, and would be delighted if there were also
some money to use on materials for them. You probably could count
on many of the science faculty too. All they need is the
journals, and if the publishers supply them without a
subscription, they have no further use for the money except to
subsidize their own articles.

(As Phil Davis posted in short dramatic form, the worst strategy
is to distribute the money yourself, and let the faculty all
resent the library's decisions. Let any conflict take place in
the administrative offices--the Dean is used to it.)

The problem is to accomplish the two ends at the same time--to
let the journals rely on articles fees so the libraries can
cancel the subscriptions, and for the libraries to cancel the
subscriptions to supply the money for fees.  This takes
cooperation on all sides.

After we stop laughing, consider the alternative:  the libraries
can watch the journal costs escalate until no library can buy
them, and the following year the journals will mostly cease
publication. The library, the administration, the faculty, and
the publishers will all have passively cooperated-- in letting
the scholarly publication system fall apart.

Fortunately, the scientists will rig up some sort of crude IR by
themselves. The library, no longer needed, will become faculty
offices, and the librarians as they retire will not be replaced.
The process is already beginning in the sciences.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
and, formerly, Princeton University Library
dgoodman@princeton.edu