From: "David Prosser" <david.prosser@bodley.ox.ac.uk>
To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2006 3:56 AM
Subject: RE: NFP publishing

'OA would mean a loss of subscription, advertising, sponsorship, and reprint sales'
Would it? Some open access journals are seeing increased print subscriptions (e.g. those of the Indian Academy of Sciences). I'm not sure we have much evidence on the advertising front, but wouldn't an advertiser be as willing to advertise in a high-quality online open access journal as they would in a high-quality online subscription journal?

Sponsorship? Well, a survey of the journals listed in the DOAJ noted that less than half relied on author payments, the rest had their costs met by sponsorship - either direct or indirect. So it looks like sponsorship is alive and well in OA. (Interestingly, we are often being told that by relying on sponsorship OA is not a 'viable' business model. Now we are being told there is no sponsorship in OA. I'm afraid you can't have it both ways!)

As for reprint sales, I have heard anecdotal evidence of OA publishers being asked for reprints. It may not be logical, but there are pharmaceutical companies out there who would rather get their 10,000 copies from the publisher than do it themselves. (If any OA publisher would be willing to firm-up my anecdote with firm evidence I would be grateful.)

So, in summary, I'm afraid I think you are wrong on all four of your points.

Best wishes

David C Prosser PhD
Director
SPARC Europe