Re: NFP publishing

I am not sure that the findings of IOPP apply to clinical medical
journals. I have only acedote, by physicians and scientists in my
organization seem to greatly value what publishers add.

Peter Banks
Publisher

IMPORTANT NOTE: My last day at ADA is May 26, 2006.
After that date, the following people should be contacted:
For general inquiries, Martha Ramsey (mramsey@diabetes.org, 703-299-2043)
For scholarly journals, Aime Ballard (aballard@diabetes.org, 703-299-2088)
For consumer publications, Andrew Keegan (akeegan@diabetes.org, 703-299-2034)
For advertising, Howard Richman (hrichman@diabetes.org, 703-299-2007)
For circulation, Jim Skowrenski (jskowrenski@diabetes.org, 703-299-2090)
For books, John Fedor (jfedor@diabetes.org, 703-299-2045)

Starting June 1, my contact information is:
Peter Banks
Banks Publishing
10332 Main Street
Box 158
Fairfax, VA 22030
Phone  (703) 591-6544
Fax (703) 383-0765
pbanks@bankspub.com

>>> sally.morris@alpsp.org 05/02/06 7:02 PM >>>

Two points:

1)  One of the areas where publishers add value is in creating
new journals (after careful market research, since it requires
investment - new journals can take 5-7 years to make it
financially, and some never do) and developing existing ones.

2)  I am rather depressed by the findings of IOPP and others
showing that, for the reader, the added value (final edited
version, nice presentation, live links, additional functionality)
of the version of an article on the publisher's site does not
seem to be worth much. Even where their institution does provide
access to the published journal, a significant proportion of
actual readings, not just prior to but even after 'official'
publication, appear to be on repository sites such as ArXiv.

Sally

Sally Morris, Chief Executive
South House, The Street, Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3UU, UK
Email:  sally.morris@alpsp.org