Re: Institutional Journal Costs in an Open Access Environment

Phil,

I'm sorry if rhetoric clouds the issue for you. The arguments
that I'm making are these:

1. The money in the 'system' spent on scholarly literature could
be spent on the service of publishing and have open access as a
beneficial effect, instead of being spent on the purchase of
content and have access controls as a detrimental effect.

2. Publishing the results is part of research (without publishing
the research could just as well not have been done) and therefore
the cost of publishing is best seen as part of the cost of doing
research.

3. It is best left to authors to have some discretionary
lattitude as to how to use their grants, as it is with regard to
how they choose to write their papers and where they choose to
submit them for publication.

4. The money that would give authors this lattitude could
conceivably come out of lowering the percentage of overheads
charged by the institution, eventually traded off against (part
of) the library acquisitions budget.

The argument that I'm *not* making is advocating any of the three
scenarios you sketch. I agree with you that they are likely to be
unworkable from a bureaucratic and political point of view.

Jan