Re: Institutional Journal Costs in an Open Access Environment

Jan,

Your analogy makes great rhetoric, but it does not make for good argument. I did not argue that the current model of funding publishing should remain simply because it has always been that way (in the same sense that it was heresy to question the belief that the sun revolved around the earth). The current system may have its inefficiencies, but your alternative model (simply charging author fees to the institution -- be it the library or a Provost's fund), is wrought with political land mines and may challenge the academic freedom of authors.

In my scenarios, I have attempted to illustrate the following points:

1) That an unmanaged author-expense fund is open to abuse from individuals and exploitation from publishers

2) A managed author fund would be politically more sensitive than librarian-as-manager of subscriptions. It may also challenge academic freedom of authors

3) A managed author fund (as a limited resource) may be no more economically efficient than librarian-as-manager of subscriptions

Now if you can come up with a solution that benefits science, academics, AND makes finances easier to manage, I'm all ears...

P.S. I got a paper accepted to a Springer journal, but I have no grant funds. Could you waiver my $3,000 fee so I can make my article Open Access?

--Phil