Re: ACS sues Google for trademark infringement

The first reaction that I had to this particular litigation is that it
seems very comparable to the OCLC action against a New York City hotel and
its owners over the use of the Dewey Decimal system in the identification
of, I believe, hotel rooms.

The second issue of interest is the question of whether the use of one
normal English language word without any accompanying logo or art
constitutes an infringement of trademark or copyright.  If so, those
corporate entities that use the word corporation in their corporate
identification could be in violation of the first recorded user of this
word, not to mention incorporated or inc.  I am not a lawyer and this is
not legal advice. Just a couple of thoughts regarding this interesting
development.  One thing that I have heard over time is that Google as a
corporate entity is very good at handling litigation directed against
them.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University