Re: ACS sues Google for trademark infringement

Perhaps Stevan Harnad can clarify his post, in which he objected to the
legal action by the American Chemical Society to protect its trademark in
"Scifinder Scholar."  If I understand the post, and I hope I do not, it is
the single most radical statement concerning intellectual property I have
ever seen and goes far beyond author self-archiving, "information wants to
be free," or growing skepticism about patents.

There are two issues here:  Whether the word "Scholar" can be trademarked
and whether ACS should try to "squeeze the most revenue out of the
leastmost commodity ('branding')."  On the first point, I agree with
Harnad that ACS's position appears to be absurd on its face (as far as I
know, no one is infringing on the Scifinder trademark).

But on the second?  Are we really suggesting that organizations should not
be protecting their brands, their identities?  What is the meaure of
authenticity if not a trademark?

Contra the Chaire de recherche du Canada, the ACS is not a scholarly
society but a professional society, though I am surprised that Harnad can
speak for all such societies.  I would have thought that, say, Harvard,
would assert its trademark rights to the death, as would John Grisham or
the AAUP.  Taking inspiration from Harnad's post, I am going to run out
right now and arrange to publish the Johns Hopkins School of Medicines'
Guide to Alternative Health, Rare Herbs, and Incantatiions.

The ACS has chosen a bad example to defend a good principle.

Joe Esposito