RE: License problem with American Geophysical Union

Rick, If you have access to legal counsel (either at your institution or
through other means), I would pose the question to them for an informed
answer. I'm not sure that an institution can be held responsible for the
activities of its associates or members (things like Arthur Andersen aside
since that dealt with egregious wrongdoing in the face of an
investigation), especially an institution which is run by the state
because, by implication, you would be making the state of NV legally
liable for the actions of one of its citizens, at least in my humble
opinion. If my memory serves, a precedent would be the Napster or MP3
lawsuits which were filed against the universities where students were
copying music files ... I don't think that those suits were successful.
But, as always, I defer to more informed opinion!

Peter Picerno

Dr. Peter V. Picerno
Scarborough-Phillips Library
St. Edward's University