Re: License problem with American Geophysical Union

Though I haven't faced it with the AGU license, I am often faced with the
retort from the resource representative that "... other institutions have
signed, I don't know why you are having such a problem with it."  It is
always slightly irritating to hear that a a justification.  I suspect that
in many cases others are in fact signing off on inappropriate clauses or
language that reaches too far because they either perceive the risk as too
remote or simply want to the resource bad enough despite the existence of
the language.

I doubt I have any strategies you haven't tried ... unrealistic to place
library in position of policing behavior, inappropriate to expect library
to contractually assume responsibility for bad acts of third parties, and
inability to control users method and means (tort standard).  I have
explained to other resources that the best we can do is subject library to
reasonable efforts, and upon discovery of contractually prohibited
behavior library will take steps consistent with institutional policies to
deny access.

Probably not much help, I am interested in hearing how you resolve the
issue however.  rob