Open Access and Peer Review

I'm relatively new to this list, so pardon me if I'm resurrecting
an old sore subject. But can anyone point me to articles they've
written/read on dealing with the peer review process in OA
publishing? Could a scholarly communications librarian/IR manager
play the part of editor and unite experts in a field for mutual
review of each other's papers? The SC librarian could act as a
catalyst in forming these unions-in my experience academics in
some fields will not band together unless urged to do so (STEM
specifically) by some force. Has there been anything like this
emerging from professional organizations that encourage OA
publishing?

I would love to hear input on this, though I know it has probably
been argued to death on this list.

Thanks in advance,
Sabrina McKethan
Stacks Manager