Stealth Operations

On 16-Jul-09, at 6:06 PM, Anthony Watkinson wrote:
> I have been away and am therefore slow in replying.
>
> I am happy with this transparency, Stefan, but I cannot help
> noticing the difference between the words "very likely" i.e
> succesful populating of institutional repositories will make the
> subscription model untenable and the words "might or might not"
> provided subsequently. OK - there is no proof but it is very
> likely. We seem to agree on this. I find it difficult to see how
> there could be a proof.
>
> The aim of the so-called Green approach is to achieve Open Access
> by stealth - is it not?

I am truly perplexed! What is stealthy about advocating, openly,
vociferously, that Green OA should be universally mandated by
research institutions and research funders? If skywriting that
all over the stratosphere is stealthy ,then what on earth would
be UNstealthy?

Or is this perhaps just the usual conflation of OA with Gold OA?

(In other words, are you implicitly assuming that what I am
really aiming for is a conversion to Gold OA publishing, rather
than just universal Green OA? Well. let me say -- again as openly
as one is empowered to be, given the available human media of
expression -- let me say, write, and skywrite, with hand on
heart, that all I mean or ever meant by OA is immediate free
online access to all refereed research articles, and that that's
what Green OA and Green OA mandates provide. I have no intrinsic
interest whatsoever in journal publishers' cost-recovery models
and I try to refrain from speculating about them as much as I
can. I admit lapses now and again, but if no one else mentions
it, I never do.)

So I repeat: There is no evidence yet that Green OA has reduced
subscriptions, let alone made them unsustainable. If and when it
does, journals downsize and convert to Gold OA, and institutions
can pay out of their windfall subscription savings. Meantime,
full speed ahead to mandating universal Green OA.

What is the probability that universal Green OA will force a
transition to Gold OA? I happen to personally think it's high.
But who am I? I was convinced that the probability of universal
Green OA -- spontaneous and unmandated -- was so high in 1994
that it would be with us virtually overnight. Here we are, a
decade and a half later, in 2009, Green OA is still only at about
15%, and only 39 of the planet's 10,000 universities have
mandated Green OA!

Now I would take that as strong evidence that my personal belief
that universal Green OA is likely to lead to Gold OA (let alone
the time- scale on which this will happen) is not to be taken too
seriously...

Stevan

PS Anthony does have a point about what could be (mis)construed
as my "true agenda" based on the infamous 1994 "subversive
proposal," in which there was a definite lapse (but no stealth!).
I should not have said a single word about publishing there, just
about self-archiving. (I've since admitted this, in a 10-year
retrospective "mea culpa.") But the "subversion" I had in mind
even in 1994 was not of the publishing model, but of the access
model. On publishing models, I plead nolo contendere. The
research community has far greener pastures to harvest.
http://www.arl.org/sc/subversive/i-overture-the-subversive-proposal.shtml
http://bit.ly/12ywF1